Holiday Dishes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Monica 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Monica

I just watched a webinar from Forks over Knives all about Vegan Holiday meals. But I am still going to post this sweet potato recipe I tasted over the weekend at a cooking presentation. It has crispy prosciutto in it and it was unbelievably delicious.

You will need:

1/3 cup pecan halves
    4 Thin slices prosciutto, about 2 oz. (cut into 1/2 inch strips)
    4 Sweet Potatoes 2 lbs total peeled and cut into chunks
    2 Tbs unsalted butter
    1/4 cup creme fraiche
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350′

Spread pecan halves in single layer in pie dish. Toast for 10-12 minutes until fragrant and barely golden. Remove from oven and turn oven up to 400′

Fry prosciutto over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until crispy.

Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes. Reduce heat and let simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Approx 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Using a potato masher mash sweet potatoes until nearly smooth. Add 1 tbs butter the creme fraiche, salt and pepper and stir to blend. Stir in the prosciutto. spread sweet potato mixture in a 1 to 1 1/2 quart gratin dish.

Coursely chop the toasted pecans. Sprinkle the chopped pecan over the sweet potato mixture . Cut the remaining 1 tbs butter into bits and dot the top.

Bake until the butter has melted, the top has formed a lightly golden crust and the sweet potatoes are hot throughout, about 20 minutes.

Serves 6

I got this recipe from the William Sonoma hand out they gave us which I just loaded a picture. (full of wrinkles)

Believe me…..the chef Said everyone expects “sweet” sweet potatoes and are shocked when they taste this. There is a little heat from the black pepper at the end….very subtle. But you will love this.

Try it.

Monica

I made this recipe over the holidays.
    My friend Ilene gave me her family recipe over 10 years ago. Of course….I misplaced it and had to look up similar recipes online.
    I tweeked one until I got it just right.

2 cups fresh cranberries
    1/2 c sugar
    1 pint heavy whipping cream.
    1 small bag of coconut flakes.
    1 small can of crushed pineapple drained
    1 small bag of mini marshmallows

Chop cranberries in food processor
    Add sugar to cranberries. Let sit for a few hours or over night.
    Whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks forms.
    Fold marshmallows into whipped cream.
    Fold Cranberry mixture, coconut and pineapple into whipped cream marshmallow mixture.

This stuff taste so good. But I admit fresh whipped cream is my weakness.
    I cut the sugar down over half because the marshmallows add sweetness as well.
    Add more or less depending on your taste.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.